The Innovation Committee identifies opportunities for new learning technologies based on pedagogical research and consultations with peer institutions and colleagues at UBC and elsewhere. The committee recommends pedagogical priorities for UBC and technologies to pilot.
- Elizabeth Bowker – Lecturer, Law and Business Communications Group, Sauder School of Business
- Loch Brown – Instructor, Department of Geography, Faculty of Arts
- Fred Cutler – Associate Professor, Department of Political Science and Academic Chair, Arts ISIT, Faculty of Arts
- Blake Edwards – President, Student’s Union of UBC Okanagan (UBCSUO)
- Bowen Hui – Instructor, Computer Science, Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
- Joss Ives – Instructor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Faculty of Science
- Akhil Jobanputra – Student and VP Academic, Arts Undergraduate Society
- Claudia Krebs (Chair) – Professor of Teaching, Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine
- Ava Maleki – Student and Senator, Land and Food Systems Undergraduate Society
- Candice Rideout – Instructor, Food, Nutrition and Health, Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Marianne Schroeder – Senior Associate Director, Teaching and Learning Technologies, The Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (ex officio)
- Catherine Aldana – Executive Co-ordinator, The Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology
The UBC Innovation Committee determines the University’s pedagogical priorities in the selection of technologies for the learning ecosystem. The Innovation Committee reports to the LT Hub Leadership group and receives input from the User and Operations Committees.
- Agree on the pedagogical priorities that drive learning technology selection and prioritization.
- Tracking of LT developments and research information on learning effectiveness through technology (internal and external) to determine applicability in the context of UBC’s teaching and learning priorities.
- Identification and evaluation of LT innovation opportunities.
- Serves as a channel for faculty and student communications and feedback.
- Set the criteria for selection of new learning technology components in the ecosystem.
- Recommends to the LT Hub Leadership group technologies to pilot, resource allocation, and strategy to pilot technologies to mainstream.
- Determines pedagogical priorities for the selection of learning technologies.
- Scope includes emerging (pilot) and potential (innovation) LT tools and applications.
- LTE Renewal Project update
- Discussion of Teaching and Learning Strategy with Hugh Brock, Associate Provost, Academic Innovation
- Emerging Media Lab presentation and governance discussion
- Mapping Pedagogical Priorities with the Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Coming soon
- Adaptive Comparative Judgment (ACJ) tool presentation
- Review and discussion of teaching innovations inventory and framework
- Discuss procedure for accepting pilot proposals or proposals about technology for consideration by the Committee
- Presentations and discussion of what UBC should concentrate on for the future of pedagogy/education
- Presentation and discussion of rough cut of student video – how do you learn?
- Presentation and discussion of LT User Committee summary report and functional map with Catherine Rawn, Chair of the LT User Committee
- Discussion of pedagogical priorities and next steps for all day April retreat
- All Day Retreat to workshop pedagogical priorities, including criteria, enablers and barriers
- Presentation of Committee’s draft summary, “Defining UBC’s pedagogical priorities, finding enablers and suggesting technological solutions”, and discussion with Eric Eich, Vice-Provost and AVP Academic Affairs, and Chair of the LT Leadership Team
- Joint meeting with LT User Committee for update on LTE Renewal Project
- Review and discuss Terms of Reference
- Follow-up discussion from September joint LT Committee meeting
- Discuss revisions to Pedagogical Priorities document
- Discuss draft use cases for LTE Renewal Project
- Discuss and finalize Pedagogical Priorities document