iPeer is a peer review application where instructors can customize and receive students' evaluations of one another. These anonymized evaluations can then be shared with the evaluated student or kept confidential between the evaluator and instructor.
Getting started How do I get started?
iPeer offers three types of peer evaluations. Consider which is most useful for your course's group work.
- Simple Evaluations: students evaluate group members by distributing an instructor-set number of points (e.g., 100) among the members.
- Rubrics Evaluations: students evaluate group members based on specific criteria established by the instructor (similar to a multiple-choice questionnaire).
- Mixed Evaluations: students evaluate group members using a combination of the Simple and Rubrics evaluations.
If you are getting started with iPeer, it is easiest to first log in to Connect and create an iPeer course from inside Connect. This transfers over your course information, student enrolment, and groups.
- From within your Connect course, click "iPeer" in the "Course Tools" menu of the Control Panel. (If you find that the tool is missing, see how to enable iPeer.)
- Now you are on the "Creating iPeer Course Connection" form. In filling out the form, note that: the "Push Class" checkbox must be checked to automatically sync your course roster in iPeer to your course roster in Connect, and it is important to mark the checkbox of the faculty or department your course belongs to for support reasons.
- When you are finished with the form, click the "Create Course" button at the bottom.
See How to Create an iPeer Course for more information.
Alternatively, you can manually create a course, enrol students, and create groups. However, the process is much more involved.
What tools can I use with this?
iPeer courses are easily set up with student enrolment and groups through Connect.
Available support What support is available?
iPeer is a tool developed within UBC's Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology. Contact email@example.com with questions. Support is provided by the Learning Technology Hub and individual instructional support units.
Frequently asked questions FAQ
What are the uses and benefits of iPeer?
Benefits include immediate feedback, rubric-based evaluations, and easy management of peer evaluations for instructors. Please see the Uses and Benefits section in the Wiki page for details.
How do I log into iPeer? How do other users log in?
Once set up, instructors and students will be able to log in to the course either from Connect or from the iPeer home page at https://ipeer.elearning.ubc.ca/login.
Why are some students missing in my iPeer course? Why are my groups missing in my iPeer course?
If the students registered late to the SIS course, the instructor may need to run a manual sync to the iPeer roster to update the students and groups.
If you or your students continue to have trouble accessing the iPeer system, please contact the Learning Technology Hub for support.
Where can I find more information?
Please visit UBC's iPeer Wiki page.